10 Reasons Why You Should Live in Spanish Fort
Spanish Fort is a city boasting everything from high Bayfront bluffs to parks, restaurants, fishing, golf and entertainment along the "Causeway" offering a lot including homes in neighborhoods that are steeped in history. There are actually three Forts in Spanish Fort, but the city received its name from the one that was built in 1781 by the Spanish. The other two, Ft. McDermott and Redfort were built by Confederates. In 1712 the area of Spanish Fort was established as a trading post between the French in Mobile and other groups in the area. It wasn't until 1763, following the French and Indian War, that the land was ceded to the British. Then, the Spanish attacked the area during the Revolutionary War, thus becoming a "spanish fort." It wasn't until after the War of 1812 that the land finally became US soil. Through this history, Spanish Fort officially established itself in 1993 to avoid annexation into another city. Here are 10 reasons why you should consider living in this fantastic area!
- "A City of Spirit." With all of this history, it is easy to see the influence these cultures have in the area. Today, the city remembers its history through its seal, which shows the six flags it has been under. Historic plaques are a common sight, especially in Spanish Fort Estates. Come see the remnants of the forts! Many perched high on the bluff and overlooking Mobile Bay, and the Mobile Delta.
- Diversity in Houses! With over 30 neighborhoods, and more than 150 homes in the area for sale or rent, there are plenty of houses to chose from. From ranch-style houses to modern custom homes, find what you want. Be sure to check out the listings for the area here!
- Parks Galore! Four State Parks, Enjoy Historic Blakeley State Park and Meaher State Park, both located in the city limits. Blakeley contains the site of a large Civil War battlefield--but also has the biodiverse river delta in the park. Meaher is located directly on Mobile Bay and the Causeway, boasting a large network of piers for fishing and sightseeing.
Also, Five Rivers Delta Center, is on the causeway (across the street from Meaher), where families can view exhibits with many hands-on activities and live animals, or launch to explore on the water from the free canoe/kayak launch (with rentals available), reserve a boat tour of the Lower Delta aboard, "The Osprey", take a leisurely stroll on one of the many trails, or catch a movie in our Tensaw Theater. There are also city parks, such as Spirit Park, with it's eight lighted tennis courts and three multi-purposed fields to accommodate regulation softball and youth baseball. And Town Center Park, is a great place for families, with a splash pad, pavilion area, state-of-the-art playground, horseshoe pits, sunburst fountain pond, fitness area, and walking path surrounded by the shops of Town Center, such as JCPenny, Kohl's and Bass Pro.
- Brand-New Library and Senior Center. The library is a part of the Baldwin County system that allows books to easily be transported between libraries in the county. It is a 7,000 square foot facility serving the community. The senior center offers exercise programs and events daily. Ice cream socials, scrabble, and bingo are common occurrences here.
- Your Shopping Destination. Shop at the Eastern Shore center, where you can see a movie or do some department store shopping. Dillards, Belk, Bath & Body Works, Barnes & Noble Booksellers, and Shoe Station make up a few of the stores in the center. You can also check out the huge Bass Pro store and buy specialty foods as Rouse's Market.
- Schools with AP Classes! The high school offers advanced and ap class placements. It also offers the Baldwin County Virtual School option. The average school test scores in Spanish Fort are 18% higher than the national average. There are approximately 14 students for every one teacher.
- Entertainment Options Galore! Two large shopping complexes including a movie theatre, a Kangarooz family fun center, Timbercreek's 21 holes of golf (residents of this community can also enjoy tennis and community pools), and even an indoor golf simulator! Also, the only bowling alley in the area, Eastern Shore Lanes is the place to get your next strike. The alley also has laser tag, food and adult beverages. Miss your old bowling league? No problem, join one here!
Looking to go boating or fishing? No problem, the Causeway has three convenient locations to launch your boat: Chocaloochee Bay, Meaher State Park and Tensaw Landing, with another two locations further north to access the lower delta region: Byrnes Lake and Cliff’s Landing.
- Proximity to Mobile and the Beach. Many large companies, like the Austal and Airbus complex in mobile offer thousands of jobs to those in the area. With only an approximate 12 minute commute, many have jobs in the city but live in the comfort and scenery of the eastern shore. Likewise, a trip to the beaches of Gulf Shores, Orange Beach or even Pensacola Beach are only an hour away!
- Quickfacts. (Facts sourced from AreaVibes.com, which analyzes US Census, economic, and EPA data)
- Alabama general sales tax is 21% lower than the national average.
- Alabama state income tax is 10% lower than the national average.
- The median household income in Spanish Fort is 26% higher than the national average.
- The unemployment rate in Spanish Fort is 60% lower than the national average.
- The poverty level in Spanish Fort is 58% lower than the national average.
- The pollution index in Spanish Fort is 87% better than the national average.
10. Eat Seafood on the Causeway! All the locals know that the seafood on the causeway is not to be missed. Sitting up on stilts, these restaurants have been hit by hurricanes over the years but come back again and again. Places like R & R Seafood, Felix's Fish Camp Restaurant, Ralph and Kacoo's, Cafe Del Rio, ED'S Seafood Shed, Drifter's Bar and Grill, Bluegill Restaurant, and Original Oyster House Seafood Restaurant all have local seafood!
Searching for a home in Spanish Fort? Don't wait, get started today:
- Waterfront Homes
- Homes with a Pool
- Under $200,000
- $200,000 to $300,000
- $300,000 to $400,000
- $400,000 to $500,000
- $500,000 to $600,000
- $600,000 to $700,000
- Luxury Homes
Call Today: Michelle Beckham (251) 709-4558, Broker - Bellator Real Estate
Beckham Partners Real Estate Team - Comfort, Experience, Convenience and Expertise. #1 Residential Sales Producers Company-Wide, for 10 Years - Ballator Real Estate and Development.
#SpanishFort #SpanishFortAL #SpanishFortRealEstate #SpanishFortRealEstate #EasternShore #SpanishFortHomes #SpanishFortRealtor #SpanishFortRealty #BellatorSpanishFort #SpanishFortLiving #SpanishFortToros #BeckhamPartners